Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Prospective of a Southern American Woman ……

I have watched with despair the path our nation has taken from the entry of Ronald Reagan. I was too young to understand the importance of events of the Nixon years though I understand now, one of the benefits of aging. One of my earliest memories are watching the president of the United State being slaughtered in public view and the understanding even at that young age, something terrible had occurred.

My understanding as a youth was that the US was something special on the world stage even though my own experiences left me in turmoil and anger. We were the nation where ALL were equal, so the voices said, but there were vast inequalities visible to the naked eye and that defied explanation. The race question was always there, and contrary to what is talked about, as a young white woman, I received a fair amount of attacks from my co-americans. I was hit by a mud clot once, standing on the road side and thrown out of a car full of angry black kids. I understand their anger….they directed it at the wrong person. This is not the only time something like that occurred. Funny, as a woman, I understand their displacement and anger, as I have some of that myself. It is not a happy situation to be more accomplished and intelligent than your superiors, who happen to be white men.

I was raised a Southern Baptist. I always resented and questioned the inequality of woman that is promoted by the church, in their literature and sermons. After all, aren’t women half the human race? I was fortunate in that my father was a man that plainly saw woman as strong and capable. I must say that I saw many womanly qualities as being quite superior to the manly qualities that were promoted and encouraged. My experiences have not changed my opinion and have led me to an agnostic position regards religion that on a whole, I am comfortable with.

I never agreed with Ronald Reagan’s trickle down theory. As one embroiled in the lower tiered economics….I certainly didn’t understand how that would work. Obviously, from current prospective it didn’t. The shock and awe tactics of the first Bush administration against Iraq left me sickened and ashamed of my country and it’s willingness to harm others.

As a person that was trying to live the American dream, I felt like Clinton did understand and had the background to help the lower echelons of society, however being one of those, led me to question policies such as NAFTA. It made sense to me that there is no way that the could compete with economics that paid a worker thirty dollars a month, as I have heard income from VietNam described. I always thought there would be a vast equalization of dollars adversely affecting the US worker.

I was never asked about the 2nd Bush war, but I thought from the beginning that it was wrong, that we had no business being there. The excuse of 9-11 was weak and questionable. I think many of my fellow citizens felt the same way. Again I was sickened by the sheer savagery of the bombing and my sympathies were with the Iraqi people. I wanted to undo the damage that was inflicted on them. I have felt for the past six years or so that the USA was embroiled in militarism and that our country would fall if we continued on this journey. We have continued on the Journey with the support of Israel’s attack on Gaza. I can have no understanding of their mindset. To me, this is as bad or worse than the Nazi’s in Germany. How can anyone excuse the brutal murder and mayhem that results in such attacks?

With the election of Barack Obama, I feel an immense love and hope for my country. It seems that all the lonely years of Bush and Reagonomics are gone and the American people can unite and be what we really all. A loving and tolerant society, that let’s others live and forgives others their idiosyncrasies. Were we every really that? I think we were trying to become that and maybe this is just the birth pains to becoming. The USA should be a nation with just laws, for the people, by the people. Do away with the WAR ON DRUGS that makes so many citizens criminals and cost a fortune. Do away WITH THE WAR ON TERROR, that is indefinable and with no end. Do away with the unlawfulness of corporate control. Make everyone able to secure a job and a living without fear of being stripped of rights and liberties and hopes, dreams. Regulate and monitor those that would do so much damage if they were not.
Study your history, corporations were illegal in the US until the 1880’s and were strictly prohibited by the constitution. The Federal Reserve is not a government post as it poses to be. It is a private banking enterprise that rapes the US Citizen. The American people deserve a fair and just government that serves its individuals, not its corporate slaveholders. Perhaps, with this new administration, the American people will receive that. It will be up to us…we must demand and monitor and hold accountable those in office. Do not forget, we have the option of changing that government, written into our constitution and inalienable rights. We must avail ourselves of that right if that is forced upon us. Bless the US as well as everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. You are 100% correct. It is a shame that nearly the whole nation is killing the planet with their stupidity.

    ReplyDelete